Monday, February 26, 2018

Doctor Who 1.02 - The End of the World

Overall opinion: Okay,I love this episode! The pilot didn't quite do it for me, but this was the episode that sold me on the show. Not much else to say about it, really, it's just a very good tightly written episode. 9/10

The Doctor: Not much to say about The Doctor as well. I like that we get to find out more about his past and we see that the gravity of it all does hit him. I also think it's such a good establishing moment to see him at the end when he says "Everything has its time, and everything dies." It really says so much about him as a character.

Rose: I think I like Rose here a little bit more than the previous episode. I like that it hits her where she is, that she doesn't really know The Doctor very well, basically again the gravity of the situation. She is not particularly useful in this episode, but in fairness it's not due to a fault of her own. I really do like the conversations she has with The Doctor and with Cassandra. And I liked her empathy at the end.

Side characters: Okay, I like the blue alien plumber and the host and the wood people. Not much to say about them individually, they're just a nice addition to the episode.

Villain: Okay, this comes with a spoiler warning, so you'll have to copy the text in the brackets to see it. (I love Cassandra. I adore the commentary they were making with her, both in terms of racial purity and her greed, and the fact that she is judging the human race for evolving, while she has done much worse to herself. Her death was pretty gruesome, but also kind of earned? It was a good villain. Oh, and of course I loved that little hint they dropped that she is trans. Good stuff!)

No comments:

Post a Comment