Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Doctor Who 1.03 - The Unquiet Dead

Overall opinion: Another solid 9/10 episode. I don't generally love 18/19th century England in Doctor Who (though I think that has to do more with the Moffat era, where it gets way too overused), but there are solid episodes set in this time period and this was one of them. The supernatural aspect of it is a bit meh, because we know it's not actually supernatural, but the episode really picks up in the second half.

The Doctor: I liked the Doctor here, I liked his "new morality" and I liked how he is very much pro any living creatures, and believes that they are well-intentioned.

Rose: Not a great Rose episode in my opinion. This is the second time in a row she gets kidnapped and the Doctor has to save her (although not quite so literally this time.) And after, that she spends the episode being close-minded and a know-it-all.

Side characters: I love Charles Dickens obviously. It's a bit fan service-y every time Doctor Who brings in a historical figure, but it's still fun to see. He does take a little bit to come around to what's going on, but once he does, it's pretty awesome. Gwenyth is also one of my absolute favorite one time characters. Can't say much about her without spoiling the episode, so I'll just leave it at that.

Villain: I don't so much like the villains/monsters as characters in this episode, but I do like the interactions around them and I like the moral dilemma that they pose. So overall, yeah, it's pretty alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment