Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Doctor Who 1.04. & 1.05 - Aliens of London and World War III

Overall opinion: Oh god, it's these episodes with the farting!

Okay, there are good ideas here and I get the commentary about politicians the show is trying to make, but my god, the farting! I think my biggest complaint about this story is that it's a two parter. It honestly does not deserve to be a two-parter.

In terms of rating: Aliens of London is a 5/10
And World War III is a 6/10

The Doctor: I feel like this two-parter is basically the quintessential The Doctor being The Doctor, he does have some really good moments here.

Rose: I don't know what to make of Rose here. She just stands by The Doctor's side, she doesn't really express a lot of deep emotions other than the obvious ones, and she's just kind of relegated to the background. The way people react to her is much more important than how she reacts to them.

Side characters: I like Jackie a lot more here, she is a lot less grating here because she acts very loving and concerned about Rose. I like Mickey a lot better too. I love his interactions with the Doctor, especially near the end. In fact both of them and their interactions with Rose are what makes this two-parter a little bit worth it for me.

Besides that, the alien doctor lady is cool, and of course Harriet Jones is a classic New Who character.

Villain: Look, I get the idea behind these villains on paper, and on paper I think it's an alright idea. But my god, with the farting! There's just no way to save that.

I'm not crazy about the design either. I like the faces, and the rest of them are just bleh. I guess I do like that the name they give is their family name, not the name of their species. And yeah, their plan is not the worst, but I still can't take them seriously,

No comments:

Post a Comment